2018 Women in Soccer Conference | Inspire Generations: Play, Coach, Lead
On April 14 and 15th, the Alberta Soccer Development of Women in Soccer Committee (DWSC) will host its fourth annual Women in Soccer Conference. This year’s conference will feature a one-day program, offered in both Calgary and Leduc – making it accessible for a greater number of women across Alberta.
The 2018 conference will offer unique leadership, coaching, and referee professional development sessions designed specifically to empower and inspire female leaders.
We are thrilled to welcome our keynote speaker, Andrea Neil, to the conference. Andrea is a former Canadian Women’s National Team Player, Canada Sports Hall of Fame inductee, and USSF National ‘B’ Licensed and UEFA ‘A’ Licensed coach. Andrea, who will also lead an on-field coaching session, is both a highly skilled coach and passionate leader on the topic of sport and its role in character development among girls and women.
Through the knowledge and experience Andrea and the other facilitators will share at the conference, the DWSC is excited to offer women like you an opportunity to gain valuable skills and insight that will empower you on the field, from the sidelines, at the boardroom table and in your personal life.
The sessions will include:
- Keynote speech and custom coaching session from the first female soccer player to be inducted into the Canada Sport Hall of Fame – Andrea Neil
- Female Initiated Referee Strategies and Techniques (F.I.R.S.T.) Learn practical game management techniques from experienced female instructors (North: Melissa Sargent, Jaimelia Turner and South: Laurie Darvill, Anne McAlduff)
- Intercultural Communication Skills Training – Build awareness about cultural values and biases and strategies you can integrate to combat them into your daily life; led by Laurel Madro, Bow Valley College Program Coordinator with 20 years’ experience facilitating these workshops
- NCCP Mentorship Module – This training reaffirms and strengthens the abilities and skills as a mentor, while expanding upon the mentor’s knowledge of the mentorship process, led by CAL Facilitator: Jim Loughlin, LED Facilitator: Jackie Cool, NCCP Master Coach Developers
- CAAWS combined Leading with Confidence/Women on Boards Workshop – An engaging workshop on how to strengthen your leadership skills and the information you need if you have ever wondered what being on a board looks like and the positive impact you could make on one; led by CAL Facilitator, Lea Wiens, Sport for Life Consultant with 20+ years’ experience and LED Facilitator, Karen Melnyk, who has 25+ years’ experience in leadership training
We encourage women (over 16 years) from soccer communities throughout our province to join us at the conference. The registration fee for the single day event is $70 + GST and includes all sessions, coffee breaks, and lunch. Affordable overnight accommodation is also available (at a preferred rate) if you are visiting from out of town.
Click here to learn more about each of the great sessions and their facilitators!https://albertasoccer.com/about/women-in-soccer/
Registration opens on March 8th in celebration of International Women’s Day. We look forward to seeing you there!